Saturday, June 8, 2013

San Jose--National Museum and Theatre

 
      After spending the past two weeks in the small town of Santa Elena, I was surprised at how busy San  Jose seemed.  In some ways, this area reminded me of Times Square.  There were so many people and the pigeons...it's actually legal to kill them as they are so abundant here and considered pests.
     Our first stop was the theater.  It's an old landmark here but still active as a working theater.  The architecture is very interesting as is its history.  To be sure, Javier was once again a wealth of information as he pointed to many paintings and works of art in the building.  This was a landmark that President Obama came to see on his recent visit as well.
Eating at the market.
     After touring the theater, we walked for about 15 minutes to a downtown central market area.  This building was filled with many different vendors and the open market of meat and fish was a sight to see!  Herbs and spices and just about anything you can think of were being sold as we made our way to an open area eatery.  By this time, I had learned a traveler's trick and I sat down and pointed at some people who were already eating.  I told the waitress that I would have the same and I was one of the first to get served.  It was a hustle-bustle area and I enjoyed the people watching opportunity very much.  After eating, I walked around the market and kept thinking how much it reminded me of the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco!





No comments:

Post a Comment